Creating a PowerPoint Presentation
From the basics to the fancier options
If you follow these instructions and use the proper methods, you will be able to successfully create a fun and educational PowerPoint. Donít be afraid to ďplay aroundĒ with PowerPoint; you canít break it. Feel free to ask questions of other students and your teacher.
1. On a PC, click on Start in the bottom left corner. From there, click on Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Powerpoint. Open a new presentation.
2. Click New Slide (upper right corner) to add new slides at any time. When you click New Slide you are given the choice to select a different slide outline; click to choose the one you want. If you are going to use the same font & layout in each slide, you can click Duplicate too. It copies the slide exactly as it is.
3. Click in the text boxes to type. You can change fonts & colors too.
4. Click the Design button (upper right) and select the slide design you prefer.
5. By clicking Animation Schemes, you are able to put transitions between slides. You can pick a different transition for each slide or have the same one for all slides. Note: Once you click on an animation it stays on that slide until you choose another or No Animation. You must click Apply to All Slides or click on each slide and choose a transition individually.
6. Go to the Slide Show drop down menu from the menu bar and select Custom Animation. Select add effect; entrance; and one of the animations listed. By doing this will allow your items on a bulleted list to Ďfly iní on a mouse click. Note: In order to do this your bullets must all be in one single text box.
7. Select File from the menu bar and then Save to save your presentation.
8. *Timing: If you want the slideshow to go from slide to slide without having to click (works well for Sybilís English 110 PPT MusicVideo Project), you need to click on Slide Transition & unclick On Mouse Click and, instead, fill out Automatically After with the amount of seconds that slide will show. If you are setting the PPT to a song, you may want to listen to the song and see where you would want to change slides. (One slide can show for 3 seconds and the next could show for 5 seconds, for ex.)
9. *Inserting an Image: Make sure you are on the slide youíd like to place an image. Click on Insert -> Picture -> From File (if you have it saved on your USB or on the computerís desktop). You can use Clipart too. To put an image in as a Background, click on SlideShow -> Background -> Fill Effects (under the arrow) -> Picture -> Select Picture. Note: PPT works well with .jpeg and .gif image files.
10. *Inserting Sound: Make sure you have copied the song/sound from a CD or iTunes, etc onto the computerís desktop, or, even better, onto your USB. Then go to the slide where youíd like the sound to start, click on Insert -> Movies & Sounds -> Sound from File. Note: PPT only accepts .mp3 or .wav sound files. Try using www.media-convert.com to convert your other files.
With all of these instructions remember you can always explore the other choices and options. There are no specific directions in using PowerPoint. Make your presentation fun and unique!
*Pertains to Sybilís English 110 classes & students.
A very helpful website (is linked from my teaching blog too): http://its.ndsu.edu/training_resources/sponge_site/create_a_slide_show_or_music_video_in_powerpoint/